Thursday, September 22, 2011

    I got up and headed down a little early to help out - Again a wonderful breakfast.  Our keynote speaker for the morning was Ed Tronick  who discussed how infants and toddlers try to connect with caregivers and how frustrated they get if they cannot and how after awhile they give up.  He had an amazing video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzXGEbZht0   and also consulted on Law and Order http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBBYfzxQes&feature=relmfu.  The videos were really helpful to drive the point home how easy it is for there to be attachment related issues and how they start.  Also to note - cute sunglasses and such were put on each table - so we really could see through a child's eyes.  We had a networking lunch where there were different topics and signs up - I sat in the Western US table and got a chance to meet some people that were from California.  Then it was time for workshops - I chose to go to EMDR - Family Therapist Team Treatment for Attachment Trauma in Children because I really want to know more about EMDR and how it can work with trauma.  I have seen it and actually had EMDR done on me - and I wanted to see it being used in a team setting.  The presenters were wonderful.  http://www.atcnebraska.com/how_we_help.html has more information on it.  One of my goals is to create a clinic that will specifically before helping families dealing with attachment issues including helping with funding, school issues, respite and such - I really liked their team approach and felt that it is something I want to try to adopt someday when I am able to get the clinic going.  I was actually late to the parent only night because I was busy chatting with another intern about ideas.  It was so very exciting to see others excited about the things I was.  I went up to the Parent's only night (I had wanted to do Ollie the Trolley but I also really needed time out of my therapist hat and needed the support of parents - during the day I had gotten several calls and emails about issues with my daughter and I just couldn't play therapist anymore - I needed my own support.)  I went up the the parent's suite - and a lady was reading a book that a friend wrote - it was darling and they told the story of the therapy dogs - Sometimes I wish I could start all over with my daughter with these wonderful ideas and books - I really think it would have helped.  My roommate and I went to dinner together and had a wonderful time.  I just cannot even describe how wonderful it was to talk to people and to cry or say something that others just automatically understood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mabon\Fall Equinox

Waiting....

Lughnasadh 2017