New Year's Resolution

Every year I do New Year's Resolutions and every year within days or weeks I fail.  Then I beat myself up for not having stronger will power and though I promise myself that I can just restart, I somehow never get back to those resolutions.  Every year I get more anxious that I will fail quickly which then gives me self-doubt which drives me to sabotage myself so I don't have to be anxious that I will fail.

My birthday is December 31, so it makes it even easier to fall into this repeated cycle.  One year older, one year wiser - yup I should be able to do it THIS time.  But then my anxiety cranks up, I can't fail this time, or I am a failure. 

One year I planned on not making New Year's Resolutions so I wouldn't fall into my normal cycle, but by January 2nd,  I felt I was "being lazy" and "making excuses" not to make New Year's Resolutions so I made them and then within a month "failed".

So this year is going to be different, I am going to make one New Year's Resolution that I can't fail and that is a real honest resolution. 

I resolve that in 2017 I am going to be good to myself. 

So what does this mean?
It means I will eat healthy, exercise, and do things good for my mental, emotional, spiritual and physical health.
It also means that if I make a mistake or "fall off the wagon" I have to be good to myself.
I cannot obsess about being a failure, or that I wasn't good to myself at that moment, instead I have to focus on being good to myself and realizing that everyone slips up, including me and berating myself is not being good to myself.

So basically I am resolving to forgive myself and continue being good to myself.  The best part is if I do feel like a failure for a bit, I don't have to be upset for feeling that way and decide to be good to myself and let it go and keep working forward.

So here is to a good 2017 that I am good to myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mabon\Fall Equinox

Waiting....

Lughnasadh 2017