Winter Solstice, Yule

Today is Winter Solstice otherwise known as Yule.  My hubby, son and I celebrate it as our main winter holiday.  We still have Christmas stockings on Christmas morning but today is when we each give each other thoughtful or handmade presents.

I enjoy Yule because it lets us get away from the hectic Christmas season.  We plan ahead because we know there is not last minute Christmas Eve shopping for us (although truth be told I know my son will be going to the mall tomorrow for a "haircut" which is code for finishing what he needs for Yule.

It is a time of introspection and celebration of family and togetherness.  For us it is in the evening.  I spent yesterday making a family stew recipe that I thought was a perfect fit for our dinner.  It uses nearly everything in one's pantry and refrigerator, kind of like my ancestors might have done in the winter.  I can imagine they would make stews with little bits of meat and lots of vegetables and items from the harvest and then let it cook for a day or so to feed the family for the next several days.

I also made a Yule Log Cake for dessert.  I think it came out quite well.
We will gather and eat dinner.  Laugh and joke with seasonal music playing in the background and then after dinner and before dessert we will open our gifts and enjoy them.  Then it will be dessert and relaxing together, celebrating the warmth of our home and cherish that this will be the last Yule before my son is an adult.

Meanwhile, in my personal life, I have been working hard on myself to become more confident and to resolve some issues I believe might have been getting in the way of getting a job.  I have an interview January 7th and have some leads of other possibilities in January 2013.  I am working on myself during this dark time of the year and pushing myself to transform more into the person I want to be.  I highly suggest Coaching for Life and especially the book Juli just wrote.

Happy Yule and Winter Solstice Everyone!
Namaste!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mabon\Fall Equinox

Waiting....

Full Blood Moon